Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Quotes from the Frontlines

(The following is from East Asia Update)

Quotes From Frontlines Workers

Immanuel. God With Us
Earlier this month, a friend and I were eating dinner at the home of our local "parents" when the discussion turned to Christmas and how we celebrate this holiday. I briefly explained how Jesus came to walk among us, to die and to live again so that we may have access to the Father by his blood. My local "mom" then said, "Before you came here I thought God was far away, but now I know that He is near." These are some of the sweetest words I've heard since being here. And recently I've found myself loving and delighting in this name. Immanuel. God is with us.

Somebody Loves Me
It was so hard to wait. Tim knew something special was happening, even though he didn't understand it all. Everyone was receiving a Christmas gift. It was simple: a paper and pencils, a toy, some candy. Tim had never received a Christmas gift before. As Tim sat waiting for his gift, he heard a special message. "We can celebrate and give because a baby was born. This baby was born because of love for us. He is Jesus, the reason for Christmas." As Tim clutched his gift during the rest of the day, he thought, "A gift for me! Someone loves me!? How can this be? I am no one. I have no money. My family is poor. But somebody loves me. Jesus loves me."

A Name Above All Names
As I ordered my fast food meal from a Chinese man with "Paper" written on his nametag, I reflected on some of the interesting western names that Chinese friends have chosen for themselves. Recently I talked with "Godspeed" and "Melon" at an English-language gathering that was previously attended by "Water" and "Shine". Then there was the time that I visited a summer English class and met two students who were both named "Computer". To simplify things, they had agreed to call themselves "Computer I" and "Computer II" for the duration of the course. Still waiting on my food order, I chuckled quietly to myself and prayed that whatever western name my Chinese friends have chosen, someday they will choose to be called by the name above all names as they receive Christ into their hearts.

Christmas Prayers
Please take some time this Christmas season to intercede for the 1 billion lost people in China. Pray that:
• Many new believers will result from Christmas Eve worship services and outreach activities held in churches all throughout China.
• God will empower volunteer teams as they use drama, music, parties, and one-on-one sharing to tell about the coming of the Savior.
• Christian workers will effectively share Christ in Christmas gatherings in schools, churches, parks, factories, and their homes.
Every Chinese believer will take advantage of special opportunities to share Christ this season

No comments: