Wednesday, December 06, 2006

THE GOSPEL IS ALIVE IN CHINA

(From a dear Chinese brother here in the US)

On this night of thanksgiving, I wish to thank the Lord for taking my mom home.Within 36 hours of my arrival, my mom went away to be with the Lord. Her earthly journey ended at 2:17 PM on the Lord's Day, Nov.19, 2006, capping a life of 81 and half years. She gave birth to seven children, four survived to adulthood to see her off. I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to see her one last time. I held a nightlong vigil of watch and prayer on Saturday in the hospital ward. The night sky was starless.

The next day, I held her right hand and her head for her last three and a half hours. I phoned my family in New Jersey. My three children and my wife bid farewell to my mom over the phone. I saw her tears trickling down her eyes throughout the last few hours. I felt her weakening pulse on her scalp. I prayed and sang hymns to her. I wept for the imminent separation.

The next four days were spent in mourning and remembrance. Over a thousand townsfolks came to mourn. Countless fireworks were set off to celebrate her life. In the traditional Chinese way of mourning, I injected a clear Christian presence and message. I shared my faith with relatives and classmates, including a few I had not seen for 26 years since high school.I preached Christ's gospel of resurrection just before a night-long Da3Shu1 (rhythmic story-tellling while beating drums). I led the crowd of well over100 to sing I Have Decided to Follow Jesus. Many were touched by the presence of the Holy Spirit. Some confided with me later that they sang with me to indicate their new-found faith. Some who had prior encounter with Christ decided to rededicate their life to the Lord. Still a few Christians rejoiced to know me as a dear brother in the Lord.

Thursday morning, a funeral procession led her wake to the burial ground,my childhood home lot, amid continuous fire-cracking on the town's street.I carried a wooden cross in my right hand throughout the hour-long procession. The cross now stands before her grave. After the casket was lowered into the newly dug grave, I gave a second message of eternal hope and glory, citing the story of Lazarus's resurrection from the gospel book of John chapter 11. I sang Amazing Grace, the Chorus of Because He Lives,in both Chinese and English. Before the message, a Christian sister told meher story of healing of intermitant nose bleeding since childhood after she accepted Christ a few years ago. She disclosed that there was an underground house church in my home town! Hallelujah! God apparently did not forget my hometown.

No comments: